Instead of having our final meeting as an internal event, we decided to organize it in the frame of one of the most important conferences from our field - FEBS Advanced Lecture Course on Human Fungal Pathogens (HFP2019). HFP covers a broad spectrum of topics on molecular mechanisms of host–pathogen interactions and virulence in human fungal pathogens (https://hfp2019.febsevents.org/), and took place in La Colle sur Loup, France, 18-24th May 2019. All ESRs contributed with various activities to the official HFP program.
The OPATHY-internal meeting was organised 1,5 days prior to the HFP2019 meeting in the same premises. To the HFP meeting itself, OPATHY contributed with several own activities, which are further described below.
During the project-internal meeting, all ESRs presented in thematic groups a summary of their research projects to all project supervisors. Furthermore, all project participants (ESRs and supervisors) discussed possibilities for future collaborations, for example the preparation of joint proposals on European level. Finally, ESRs received an introduction into the European Framework Program H2020 and the current status of the development of Horizon Europe.
On the first day of the HFP conference you will find a stand at the reception of the hotel where you can find out more about OPATHY and its activities.
ESRs will present their research through poster and/or oral presentations, and thus share their results with all the participants, discuss new ideas and establish new collaborations.
Besides that, ESRs will prepare several activities during the event, in order to contribute to the networking of the participants: both via scientific discussions and informal social activities:
1. World-café (18th May, 16:30-18:00): a round table discussion on different subtopic in the area of fungal infections, moderated by ESRs and experts. On the following day (19th May, 15:00-15:45), the main conclusions and questions raised during the discussion will be summed up. Registration for the World-café, as well as the detailed program with the topics and experts will be available soon.
2. Invitation of Judith Berman (18th May, 20:30-21:30): we are happy to sponsor the participation of HFP2019 keynote lecturer and OPATHY SAB member on the first day of the conference.
3. Game competition OPATHYlympics (22nd May, 13:30:15:00): interested participants will be assigned into teams to compete through differents tasks. It will be a great way to get to know other participants and win a prize ! Registration for the Game competition will be available during the conference registration (18th May, 15:00-19:00).
4. OPATHY/HFP photo-frame (23rd May, 20:30-21:30): during the last evening, participants will have the possibility to take a photo with our photo-frame and get a nice memory from the conference.
5. OPATHY award for the best oral and poster presentation: ESR committee will award the best presenters among PhD students!
6. Stand “PhD is more than science”: come to our stand and have a look what we have done besides pure lab work! It has to do with the mobility, soft skills trainings and science communication! The stand will be on during the whole conference.
7. OPATHY Booklet: HFP conference bag will contain OPATHY booklet with many information about our network, abstracts, posters and publications. Pay attention to the Bingo game attached: a lot of fun guaranteed.
You can download the OPATHY booklet here.